Saturday 2 March 2013

School Life

So I know in my previous posts I've made my dislike of school very clear buuut as the days go by it is becoming much more tolerable! I have been finding new ways to entertain myself, and although very rare, occasionally find myself understanding the gist of what is being said. Howeveeeeeer school here couldn't be more different to in NZ and due to my bizarre interest in the school life before i arrived in Brazil, this post is all about how the wheels roll  :)

  • Teachers are always called by their first names, and due to a kiss on the cheek being the most accepted form of greeting, this is how many students greet the teachers. That being said, I can't help but see all the teachers as enemies...and don't think i will ever be able to participate in any other greeting than the usual 'oi'. 
  • Rather than the students moving from class to class, the teachers move! I remember at Freyberg   always allowing a 5 minute gap of 'class time' to actually get there...well here there teachers allow anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes to arrive at class after the bell goes. 
  • I do not get to choose any of my classes, and seem to be taking, Chem, Phys, Bio, Maths, English, Geo, History, Grammer, Writing, News and Art. Grammer, writing and news, are more just the teacher talking about random topics hahaha and I don't even know what to say about art! everyone is intense! and i just want to poke my eyes out! anyone who knows me, know's i am not a fan of art! and i just can't stand having this class every week!!!!!!!
  • I have class from 7.15 - 12.15, with three 1 and a half hour classes in that time. There are also two 15 minute breaks. 
  • There are afternoon classes on Tuesday, Friday and a morning class Saturday, all of which i do not attend, i am unsure why, but i'm also not complaining!
  • The tiny desks, which seem to be built for 5 year olds, are joint to the chairs this doesn't make for great sleeping quality! and on top of that, the desk in front is pushed back against your desk so I can't even stretch my legs out! 
  • There is a guard on the gate at all times! This is very strange! I'm so used to being able to 'leave' school at lunch!
  • After school you can not leave until they call that your parents have arrived! This created a  little problem when i was meeting my friends in town and my parents weren't actually picking me up! 
  • The class has about 18 students, and there are not enough desks for every student! Luckily there is usually someone who doesn't come each day!
  • The students do not have seperate books for each subject, instead they have a big folder which has a section for each subject. So far my teachers have not requested i buy paper...so i have not :D The students also buy a big textbook for each subject which they use for all three years of high school, i definitely won't be investing in this 
  • The food is very cheap but limited! and i'm glad school falls between any main meals so i don't have to spend too much buying food as 'food for school' (what i would say in NZ at my house) doesn't really exist on the grocery list! To be completely i'm not sure my family goes grocery shopping! 
  • There is a tradition in senior year where the class dresses up in a theme once a month, but my class doesn't do it :( :( :( 
  • Its a little interesting because most of the time the teachers ignore eveeeerything i do, ocasionally giving me the tumbs up! I think they just have no idea what to do with me!


I think that is it for now! I'm sure as the year progresses there will more differences that come to light! I have a class trip coming up in April, but there has been no information given out yet! hahahah thats Brazil for you! So i shall update on my adventures here soon! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment