Tuesday 11 June 2013

June!

June has arrived, and has certainly bought some interesting cards to the table!

My teacher on the right dressed as a girl!
Fetsa Junina (a celebration held at the start of every winter where people where traditional clothes, eat traditional food and dance to traditional music) was recently celebrated here, and we had a big party in my school. True to being a good old exchange student I turned not realising what was going on at all! The guys in my class had set up a way to make money where they made a 'jail' and people paid 1 real to incarcerate and unsuspecting people who then either had to wait 30 minutes!!! or pay two reais to get out! Apparently no one had to pay for me to be chucked in, and i found myself stuck there for a good 15 minutes before pleading to be let go ( I was not going to pay anything, as an exchange student even the smallest of change is needed) and i found out after they made 800 reais anyway, which is about $500!!!

Last Thursday night I attempted to wash my clothes as a big pile had started to appear, and its not like I had never done the washing in NZ! Anyway I wake up Friday morning having forgotten to hang my washing out and begin this conversation with my host mum
 'Did you wash some clothes yesterday?'
'Yes sorry, i forgot to dry it',
'ha ha ha',
 'why?'
 'they are all rubbish'
For once in my life I had no idea what to say, in English or Portuguese. She then begins to tell me I had put house cleaner, one to make the house nice and white (which actually appears pink) in my washing instead of washing stuff, and then brings me a pair of my pajama pants. I'm not sure why she choose the worst effected item of clothing to show me because at the point I had a meltdown. Buying clothes here in not an option as one, i'm so much taller than everyone else not only are pants not long enough but also the sleeves on jerseys, and two all the clothes are so expensive! I've had a few days to think of how to acquire some new clothes and still haven't really come up with a good plan yet!


I seem to be able to say things in portuguese a lot more, but hilarious instances still arise!
The other day when i was deciding what to wear for Festa Junina I somehow said 'Do i have to wear clothes'. This is because I often forgot that in Portuguese you have to be a lot more specific about how you say things. For example in NZ if someone asks 'when are you coming?' you could reply, I'm on my way, be there in 10, give me 5, etc. All of these examples are very unspecific. But in Portuguese it doesn't make sense to directly translate this, instead they say 'I will arrive in 10 minutes' or just 'arriving'.

There is only 9 days left with my best friend here on exchange and I am definitely not ready to say goodbye! It so strange to have been at a different part in my exchange the whole way through, and at times i wished I had someone who arrived at the same time as me rather than hearing the usual 'we went through that too'. However due to this i have become good friends with the people in my class at school which when i first arrived would have never imagined happening!

Other than that i think everything else is the same! Only 20 more days of school, wohhhoooo, before the break! I can't wait :D




No comments:

Post a Comment